For older people living in care, a break from the norm can be a rejuvenating and refreshing experience. In research conducted in the North of England, the Hair and Care Project uncovered some of the many ways in which a visit to a salon can be beneficial to older people, and particularly those who are living with dementia.
Therapists and hairdressers who work with older people are not just your average professional. Many are trained in interacting with older people, with some ex-care workers or dementia trained specialists, to help them put the client resident ease.
We’ve seen first hand just how amazing the effect of hair and beauty treatments can be on an older person and would like to share with you our reasons for operating an in-house salon at Majesticare.
We have observed and discovered many far-reaching benefits to indulging in some beauty treatments. Among the many happy consequences were things like:
· Reminiscing: Salons are the ideal place to reminisce about the good old days, and hairdressers are often the ‘keeper of secrets’, encouraging residents to open up about themselves and reconnect with their past.
· Refreshing: Having a hair or nail treatment, or another type of beauty therapy, can help make residents feel renewed and refreshed. New found energy is discovered, and a happier outlook on life adopted.
· Fights depression: By encouraging residents to take care of how they look, they often end up feeling better about their situation too. They are the centre of attention, relaxed and love to enjoy a transformation in their appearance.
· Family engagement: Lots of grandchildren (or even great grandchildren) love to come and watch residents getting their nails done. It adds a new and interesting layer to their visit, encouraging visits to happen more often and be happier occasions.
· Multi-sensory experience: The experience of being touched, massaged, talked to and all the smells that go with a salon experience offer full sensory indulgence that just can’t be matched. This is particularly important for those living with dementia and enables continuity in their interactions and activities.
Our hair and beauty treatments are not just popular with the ladies either. Male residents too love to look smart and presentable and find grooming a highly therapeutic experience. Hand and foot massages can relive pain, and a manicure is a great way to avoid them accidentally cutting themselves with their own nails.
At Majesticare luxury care homes, we are pleased to be able to offer a full suite of hair and beauty treatments to our residents. Our in-house salon is staffed by hairdressers, nail technicians and beauty therapists, helping every one of our residents look and feel fabulous.
We can also arrange visits from specialist professionals to offer a range of other treatments, from hand and foot massages to facials and more. Best of all, everything is included in the cost of staying with us, so there’s never a good reason not to indulge in a spot of pampering.